UPCOMING WEEKEND RETREATS:
Apply above to be notified when our next retreat information goes live and have your application considered.
Impact Hub San Francisco
1885 Mission St
9 AM - 4 PM
Saturday and Sunday
Impact Hub SF provides community, space & events for people taking collaborative action for a better world. You can learn more at www.impacthubsf.com.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Our retreats are for those who realize our biggest social problems can’t be ignored. They’re actively working to confront complex social challenges and want to learn new skills and techniques to make change. We call them social impact innovators.
Maybe you’re working for a large non-profit to address homelessness, a government to fix the criminal justice system, an emergency response organization to deal with the aftermath of hurricanes, fighting independently for the rights of traditionally marginalized groups, or working on another social issue that affects life outcomes for those in need. If that sounds like you, you have a specific challenge you’re working to address from homelessness to healthcare, and you’re looking to build a network of other social impact innovators who are committed to making the world a better place, apply today.
WHAT WILL I LEARN AT THIS RETREAT?
Design Thinking is a powerful framework for creating solutions to problems that are novel and effective. However, the traditional design thinking process was created to design products that are largely targeted at a single user group. It is famous for asking the question, “What are the needs of your user?” But what do you do when you’re not just designing for one user but are instead balancing the needs of a multitude of stakeholders that don't agree with each other? What do you do when you’re dealing with system-wide problems in healthcare, or foster care, or education, or homelessness and your solutions affect 5, 10 or 20 different stakeholders groups? These are big, complex issues that require a different approach. During this two day workshop, DC Design will guide you through the use of our Multi-stakeholder approach to Human-Centered Design as applied to your own project. We’ll pull on examples from our own work developing strategies and designing solutions that address issues in the criminal justice, foster care, health care, and education systems.
Along the way you’ll learn:
Learn the Foundational Design Thinking process, which will help you know what to do next when you get stuck.
Learn a holistic framework for including the appropriate stakeholders in your design process.
Learn to map your stakeholder ecosystem and identify new strategic partnerships.
Learn to build consensus amongst stakeholders with conflicting views through use of Current State | End State paradigm.
Learn to map tensions in order to identify points of highest leverage within your system
Apply all of these skills to the advancement of your own project
Receive expert coaching and input from experienced facilitators
Join a network of curated social impact innovators who you can rely on for help in the future when you get stuck.
JOIN US FOR AN INCREDIBLE WEEKEND!
- The schedule for the Design Thinking Impact Retreat is packed full of networking opportunities, deep thought experiments, and coaching from experienced Design Thinking professionals. We will run 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Saturday and Sunday.
- These retreats are intense, and they are most beneficial when everyone comes prepared to be mentally present. We ask that you limit phone time while with the group and refrain from scheduling other work activities. We’ll make sure you have coffee breaks to keep you energized!
- Please note that you will have some pre-work to do before the weekend of the retreat. Please set aside 4 hours of time, some of which will be spent on the phone with others (and thus will likely be during daytime hours). More information about this will be sent to you after enrollment.
- Lunch will be provided each day. Please come well-rested and caffeinated to your liking. It’s gonna be great!
The Design Thinking for Social Impact Retreat cost $866/participant
This cost includes:
Lunch and snacks throughout the day
14 hours of instruction from professional Design Thinking and Social Impact experts
Post-retreat access to an ever-expanding group of social impact entrepreneurs
+ HOW MANY PARTICIPANTS ARE YOU ACCEPTING?
- Each retreat will have a max of 20 spots reserved for participants, and there will be no more than 10 participants per coach. You will have small group and one-on-one time with others.
+ WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE RETREAT?
- Anyone engaged in specific social impact work around a given topic with the possibility of carrying that work forward after the retreat ends.
+ DO I HAVE TO ALREADY BE WORKING TO OVERCOME A SPECIFIC SOCIAL PROBLEM TO ATTEND?
- This retreat is designed for those already working to address a particular social impact issue. That doesn’t mean you can’t be at the beginning of that process but you should have a good idea of who the people are that you want to serve to make this experience worthwhile. You’ll need to be able to engage with these individuals directly, either via phone call or in person, prior to the retreat.
+ CAN I BRING MY TEAM?
- We certainly encourage teams to apply together! These retreats can be experienced as an individual or as a team. The cost of the workshop will remain $866/person but having several members of your team present at once can make it easier to spread these ideas to others after the retreat ends.
+ WILL THERE BE A CERTIFICATE?
- We do not provide certificates, but are happy to provide a letter stating that you have completed the program and detailing the skills you learned upon your request.
+ WHAT’S THE FOOD LIKE?
- We source food for the retreat from a variety of local restaurants! We will ask you about dietary restrictions ahead of the retreat to make sure all nutritional needs are met.
+ WHERE SHOULD I STAY?
- Housing and transportation are not included in the cost of the retreat. If you’re coming from out of town, we recommend finding an AirBnB or hotel close to the retreat location.
+ WHAT IS THE REFUND POLICY?
Multi-Stakeholder Design for Social Impact Retreats are competitive programs with a limited number of available spots. Because we accept students on a rolling basis, enrollment into the program followed by later cancellation means that another social impact innovator is unable to participate. Because of this, we are unable to offer full refunds.
Program Withdrawal Date & Percentage of Tuition Returned information is as follows:
Withdrawal 45 days before program start: 75% of tuition returned
Withdrawal 30 days before program start: 50% of tuition returned
Withdrawal 20 days before program start 25% of tuition returned